Santé Cannabis and Spectrum Therapeutics launch transformative medical cannabis training program for Québec healthcare professionals
Québec doctors have a new tool at their disposal for learning about medical cannabis and its viability as a treatment option for their patients.
Santé Cannabis, a pioneer in medical cannabis in Québec, has partnered with Spectrum Therapeutics, the medical division of Canopy Growth (TSX: WEED) (NYSE: CGC) to launch the Prescriber Training Program, designed to aid physicians and patients, announced today at the new Santé Cannabis clinic and research centre in Montréal.
This new initiative developed by Santé Cannabis equips physicians with the most up-to-date clinical guidelines, support networks, online and in-person training opportunities so they can prescribe and monitor cannabinoid treatment plans with confidence. The program will be offered for free to Québec physicians and is made possible by an unrestricted educational grant from Spectrum Therapeutics.
“Patient referrals and training requests from our physician colleagues have increased by more than 500 per cent over the last year,” says Dr. Michael Dworkind, Medical Director of Santé Cannabis and McGill University Associate Professor of Family Medicine. “It is our duty as physicians to understand the available treatment options for our patients, and medical cannabis treatments have emerged as an important clinical tool. In this program, we extend our experience and expertise to healthcare professionals, in order to support them to meet the needs of their patients.”
The Prescriber Training Program is designed by clinicians for clinicians, and gives a unique, practical approach to medical cannabis learning. It provides participating physicians with:
- Self-learning modules that detail treatment evidence for specific conditions and symptoms;
- Ongoing personalized phone support for questions about medical cannabis and patient care;
- Clinical preceptorship opportunities at four Santé Cannabis locations across Québec;
- Practical reference guidebook on developing and managing treatment plans and dosing; and
- Clinical toolkits to help navigate patient assessment and follow-ups.
“A significant issue preventing the consideration of cannabinoid medicine by healthcare professionals is that the topic is not typically included in the medical school curriculum,” comments Dr. Mark Ware, Chief Medical Officer, Canopy Growth. “We’ve invested in a range of training and education initiatives to address this gap in knowledge, and this new program creates an important resource for Québec physicians interested in learning how to integrate medical cannabis into their practice.”
As Québec’s first and foremost medical cannabis clinic and research centre, Santé Cannabis has received referrals from more than 2,500 physicians and assessed over 6,000 patients since 2014, while also providing information sessions for patients and healthcare professionals. Spectrum Therapeutics’ track record with providing industry-leading education, resources and support for healthcare professionals includes:
- Evidence-based educational courses in Canada that have been delivered to thousands of physicians, nurses, and pharmacists, including accredited medical education programs through the Canadian Council on Continuing Education in Pharmacy (CCCEP)
- A first-of-its-kind Catalyst Peer Mentorship Program, which links physicians from across Canada with colleagues who possess advanced knowledge of the cannabis field in order to provide case-by-case support.
- 71,000+ interactions with healthcare professionals
Media are invited to attend an open house to learn more about the program and visit the recently expanded Santé Cannabis clinic and research centre in Montréal including a guided tour. Santé Cannabis Medical Director Dr. Michael Dworkind, Practicing Physician Dr. Alain Watier, and Canopy Growth Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Mark Ware will be available for interviews. Event details below:
Date: Tuesday, September 17th 2019
Time: 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Address: 225-4150 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Westmount, H3Z 2Y5
RSVP: If you’d like to attend, please RSVP with Lilia Rassoul (email@example.com)